Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What if...

...you were 50 (ish) with grown up children and single. Just how do you meet a suitable man? I've been hearing about experiences with dating from a few friends. Some hysterically funny, some just plain sad. OK, the truth is that, as a novice writer, I've been asking around. There is a book in it somewhere. I even know the title.

Perhaps with internet dating the whole task is less daunting than replying to 'WLTM' ads. You can exchange e-mails anonymously for as long as you like and make a gut decision on whether to keep going before giving away your precious private phone number. You can see a photo - but is he lying about his height? If he says he is looking for a long-term relationship, does he mean longer than 4 hours? You just can't tell.

Jenny's most recent experience was with a man who sounded almost perfect for her. After a few chatty e-mails they exchanged phone numbers and he asked her out to dinner. At 11.30 the bar staff were clearing their throats as well as the tables, so it must have gone well. (I'd say a bunch of flowers would have been a good idea too, but then, I'm a romantic.)


She got a polite 'Thanks for the evening, I enjoyed it' text the following day. Then nothing.

She texted him - still very jolly, non-committal... and the reply came
'I asked one of my woman friends (He did what?) how I should tell you I don't want to take it any further, and she told me to say I was busy every time you got in touch... but I thought I'd better tell you the truth.' Ouch! It's a good job Tesco has got a good price on their Cuvee Prestige at the moment. Jenny needs it.

... and then there was the fireman... No, that'll have to wait.

No comments: